Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Powers of CRISPR


Is it just me or does this sound like the beginning of a comic book?  Takes place in China, where the government has approved an experimental treatment for cancer. The Chinese scientists will then remove, alter and multiply the cells, then reintroduce the cells back into that of a dying man, who will then wake up cured with some mutant genes. Just think about it.

In all seriousness though, this is really cool. I love genetics it's easily one of my favorite parts about bio, and this is some groundbreaking stuff. If this works it would give people suffering from cancer a tremendous amount of hope. This could also open the door into a whole new way of treating diseases. I don't know enough about different genetic disorders, but could this potentially be the key to treating them? But I fear that's not the only door this would open, this starts getting ethically messy. This needs to only be used to treat diseases. If this starts to become a thing for parents to create their perfect designer baby then society has gone seriously wrong.  I think this has great potential, and it's a really cool idea, but like I said it shouldn't be used for anything cosmetic. And lastly, sticking with the evolution trend from my last post, how will those who get treated using CRISPR stand up to those who didn't get it? In the long run will they be living longer lives, or shorter ones? I'm excited to hear the results!

http://www.nature.com/news/chinese-scientists-to-pioneer-first-human-crispr-trial-1.20302?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNews

1 comment:

  1. I really like this. It does sound like it would make a nice story. With Development, they should target more genes and more diseases.

    ReplyDelete