Sunday, March 5, 2017

Weekly Reflection for Week of 3/3/17

This week we focused on putting biotechnology to use in a PCR lab. This hands on lab helped clarify the complicated process of replicating DNA. The first step of this lab was to rinse our mouths with saline and spit in a tube. This was then centrifuged with gene matrix.We had to heat our spit mix in a couple of different water baths. We then carefully transferred the supernatant into a PCR tube, as well as some mastermix. This concoction was then put into the thermal cycler, for about three hours. The next day we were able to add loading dye to our PCR tube, and carefully load it into the gel for electrophoresis.This would run for a half hour, and then be placed in a dye to reveal any of our DNA.

During the process we learned how sensitive this process is, and how easy it is to contaminate a sample. Luckily a band of my DNA showed up, showing that I was homozygous negative for the gene we tested. After doing more research on the genome website my result makes sense because of my european heritage. Unsurprisingly most of the kids in my class showed up as homozygous negative, but a few were heterozygous, which was really cool. I found this lab to be a lot of fun, and hopefully I will get to do more labs like this to see my results for other genes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment